We came across this awesome recipe via HGTV and decided to modify it slightly. If you’re looking for a fairly easy and quick recipe to take with you during the holiday season – here you go!
Yield: 24-32 pretzel bites
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 packet active yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour (will need extra for kneading)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon flavored seasoning of your choice
Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Beer Sauce Ingredients
Yield: about one cup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
1/2 cup of beer (Dark Beer for a stronger taste, Lighter Beer for a more mild taste.)
3/4 cup grated smoked Gouda Cheese
1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a non-stick baking mat on a cookie sheet.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add yeast to warm water. Stir until dissolved. Stir in salt and sugar. Once mixed, add flour one cup at a time. Mix thoroughly until dough is thick and no longer sticky.
3. Create a floured surface for kneading. Knead dough for approximately 5 minutes. Separate dough into even sections, about six.
4. Cut dough into bite size pieces, roughly 1 1/2 inches long.
5. On a plate, mix sea salt and seasoning together for sprinkling. Beat egg in a small bowl and brush on pretzel bite tops. Place pretzels on baking sheet, and sprinkle salt mixture on top.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. After the first 5 minutes, switch to broil. Keep an eye on them to avoid over-browning. Remove from oven and serve warm with beer cheese dip.
Smoked Gouda and Cheddar Beer Sauce
1. In small saucepan, heat beer on low until it bubbles. Slowly whisk in flour, then add cheese. Whisk until smooth.
2. Add sour cream, mustard and paprika while whisking. Add more flour for a thicker sauce, or more beer for a thinner sauce. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.